Is Street Art Subversive?



I came across a book in the Library "Supply and Demand: The Art of Shepard Fairey", which became a catalyst for my thought on subversion in art.

I have never engaged that much with the work of Shepard Fairy. This is mainly because I didn't understand how an artist that created work, based on his anti-capitalist, consumption and corporate views, could also become part of that consumer culture. From seemingly revolutionary urban artist to making thousands with his "street ware" clothing sold in Urban Outfitters.
This isn't something new, in this Western society we unfortunately need money to survive and so you can understand why a successful street artist would decide to profit from his work. After all paint, paper and stickers cost money to make. 

“I’ve been hearing some cries of “SELLOUT!” over the various products for sale. I put all the profits back into more stickers and posters for the street, because that is my love, not money. People have different reasons for liking GIANT and I can understand people not wanting to see it leave the underground niche it has enjoyed for so many years. All I can say is that even in the commercial applications of OBEY/GIANT I am attempting to retain the rebellious spirit of the street project.” ~ Shepard Fairey (Groth, 2011).

While I understand that money might go back into producing more work, Fairey, on estimate, is worth 10 mill, although this is worth looking into more closely (Braun, 2014). Fair enough I suppose, but I still can't get my head around the main idea of Obey, that originated from the film "They Live", now being part of the corporate machine. It's gone full circle. It's a paradox, Obey is obeying.

Supply and Demand: The Art of Shepard Fairey

This might be a good example of developing the creative practice, taking an idea, putting it in the public domain and then developing on this to create a brand. 

Anyway, this isn't the main thing I took from the book. His development from underground artist into corporate brand is what is present, I was more interested in what he had to say about his beginnings.

One of the ways he begun to get his work out was via stickers. I have always enjoyed putting stickers out on the streets, it's a satisfying feeling putting your work out, physically, in the public domain very quickly, efficiently and illegally. It's just a little part of me saying "screw you, I'll put my work where I want". It's not big but it is a small and subtle way of being subversive, undermining the authority of the established system. When I started thinking about putting my work in the streets, this is something that developed my creativity and develop my practice by making me look at ways of delivering my work to the public. 

Why is street art subversive? 

Well, I have already touched on the fact that it is against the law, it can constitute as criminal damage to property. The debate over whether is constitutes as art or damage is a controversial topic.

"Previously described as vandalism, criminal activity and the ‘wanton destruction of private property’, lately and with increased frequency, there has been a noticeable softening of the judicial system towards street art. Just last week a Mancunian street artist was unexpectedly excused from a significant prison term for vandalism, despite causing thousands of pounds worth of damage, because the judge residing over the case believed the offender had unquestionable talent and indeed ‘could be the next Banksy’." (McCarthy, 2013).

Thus, in the case of the law, there is a blurred line. It seems that instead, it is the public who are the deciding factor of whether it is acceptable or not, whether it is art or vandalism. Is it anti social graffiti or art?  When we look at it in the context of the public, street art is subversive in the way that is isn't always taking the viewer into account. For example, the viewer of an exhibition or a book, knows what to expect. Art in the urban environment is out of place. It doesn't give the viewer the option of whether to look at the work or not. It confronts the viewers experience of space. Sondra Bacharach highlights two distinct central features of street art:

"street art is (1) aconsensually produced (made without the consent of the property owner on whose property the work exists) in a way that (2) constitutes an act of defiant activism designed to challenge (and change) the viewer’s experience of his or her environment." (Bacharach, 2015, p.481)

Graffiti/ Tagging-----Street Art-----Art. 

This led me to think of Subversion in art:


After this I also begun to think of other creative areas that use Subversion such as music, writing, etc. 

I think subversion is important in all areas of the creative process, especially to develop it as it requires the creative to step out of their comfort zone or perhaps the comfort zones of others by challenging as well as putting pressure on your work.

Creating subversive work requires you, ultimately, to be original. Creating something original comes with pressure, what will others think of it? Is it offensive? Is it actually original?

This is a new thought for me. Originality goes hand in hand with subversiveness. If you are imitating something that has been seen as subversive in the past but that has now been almost accepted, for example the work of Shepard Fairey, is it still subversive? 

Bibliogaphy

Bacharach, S., (2015). Street Art and Consent. The British Journal of Aesthetics, Volume 55 (4), 481-495.

Braun, M. (2014). 5 Wealthiest Street Artists Who Know How To Earn Their Living. Retrieved from http://www.widewalls.ch/5-wealthiest-street-artists/shepard-fairey/

Fairey, S. (2006). Obey : supply & demand : the art of Shepard Fairey. California: Ginco Press.

Groth, A. (2011). The Incredible Story Of An Anti-Establishment Street Artist Who Started Working For Nike. Retrieved from http://www.businessinsider.com/shepard-fairey-sold-out-2011-5?op=1&IR=T/#ireys-messages-have-always-been-anti-consumerism-1

McCarthy, M. (2013). The Legalities of Street Art. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mary-mccarthy/street-art-legalities_b_4425434.html 

Comments

Popular Posts