NoNose


Whist I was doing my initial research on Street Art, I watched a film: Street Art, Painting in The City: London, Paris, Madrid but didn't mention it (other than in my sketchbook) as at the time I didn't find anything revolutionary to me. I was wrong. When I thought back to street art and subversion I remembered one of the artists in the video who made work from painting potatoes. I have searched for more information on this guy but could find nothing! I couldn't find any articles (other than this article on Potato Bombing) who mention who he is, even his street name and I couldn't find him in the books I looked at. I couldn't even find the video on YouTube. So I've gone back to the DVD and found out his name: NONOSE. 

Still from film

To me, his work is a great example to constantly pushing a redefining what something is, here being street art. He was subverting street art by finding an alternative form of creativity that still maintains the idea of street art in that it is places in the public space. 

NoNose says that "in a way he's just the same as any other street artist, I mean we're just using the street as a gallery."

"They are a tag in themselves."

"The idea of making objects that have their own natural life span and then they're gone, has always attracted me."

"A lot of street art is very graphic based, I think the more abstract sculpture was something that wasn't really covered so my work sort of evolved in that way."

"There was something about suspect devices, "don't leave things unattended," the idea that a sculpture being sort of danger."

"Art can be serious, there are very serious sides to it, but I've got to motivate myself to do it, you know, I'm not a dark person." 

"There was a lot of speculation, people thought they where devices to record the buses, to er, little space aliens."  



Bibliography

Film

Tate Media. (2008). Street Art, Painting the City: London, Paris, Madrid [DVD]. London: Tate Media.

Comments

Popular Posts